Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Weather Alert! 2 hot 2 sit

OK, so I go out to my car yesterday and sit in the seat and BAM! My legs are burning! It is so hot that I cannot even sit to drive much less touch the steering wheel. Well somehow, I manage to get the car turn on, which is a feat in itself. Picture it - I drive a stick! While not trying to put my bottom in the seat, I contort myself into a position where I can get my left foot on the clutch, my right foot on the brake, my right hand at the ignition, it occurs to me now that my shoulder blades are touch the back of my seat and while it is hot it is not the intensity of the spot where my bottom should be. When I realize that somehow my left hand has mysteriously, on its own, thrown itself in the air as if I was riding a bull! I guess this is where my years of playing Twister pay off.

Suddenly, I am thrown back to the summer of 1980. If you were in Texas that summer, you remember it. I was in Fort Worth that summer. All I know really is that you didn't live through that summer you melted through it. And I remember my Mom would keep a towel in the car so I could sit on it.

I look at the dash, in the stifling car, and the temperature reads 111. Yikes! I hope that this week is a fluke and the rest of summer is not bearing down on us with century marks throughout August. Then I get in the trunk and get out the trusty towel, like Mom did, put it in my seat and drive home.

No comments: